Who will be named the No. 1 player in Team Canada history at the World Junior Championship?
In celebration of the 40th anniversary of the World Junior Championship, TSN has polled 25 hockey experts to rank the Top 40 Canadian players in World Junior history. Just who headlines this special group – along with the rest of the ranked players – will be revealed on Wednesday, Dec. 19 during the Team Canada's 40 Greatest Juniors special at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt on TSN and TSN Mobile TV.
The panel of experts polled for TSN's Top 40 list include hockey broadcasters, writers, scouts, and executives that cover or are involved with the IIHF World Junior Championship (see below for complete list). Among the leading candidates for the Top 40 are the likes of goaltenders Manny Legace and Jimmy Waite, defencemen Ryan Ellis and Dion Phaneuf, and forwards Jason Allison, Jeff Carter, Jordan Eberle, Wayne Gretzky, Eric Lindros, Brayden Schenn, John Tavares, and Jonathan Toews.
TSN's James Duthie hosts the 60-minute special alongside Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, as they break down the exclusive list of 40 players. Team Canada's 40 Greatest Juniors also features a countdown of the Top 10 most dramatic moments in Team Canada history at the World Juniors.
And beginning today, you can click here on TSN.ca to name your choice for the greatest Canadian World Junior player of all time. With 100 candidates to choose from, you can now profile all the players at TSN.ca and cast their vote on Twitter using the hashtag #vote followed by the player's last name (for example, to vote for Jason Allison, you would tweet #VoteAllison).
The Top 10 vote-getters as determined by the fans will be revealed exclusively online at TSN.ca prior to TSN's coverage of the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship.
TSN has complete live coverage of the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship from Dec. 26 to Jan. 5, with pre-competition games beginning Thursday, Dec. 20.
Team Canada's 40 Greatest Juniors panel:
- Sherry Bassin, Erie Otters general manager
- Craig Button, TSN scout
- Tim Bernhardt, Phoenix Coyotes scout
- Ken Campbell, The Hockey News
- David Conte, New Jersey Devils scout
- Gregg Drinnan, Kamloops Daily News
- James Duthie, TSN host
- Sheldon Ferguson, Carolina Hurricanes scout
- Ray Ferraro, TSN analyst
- Paul Graham, TSN vice-president
- Terry Jones, Edmonton Sun
- Terry Koshan, Toronto Sun
- Marc Lachapelle, Journal de Montreal (retired)
- Gary Lawless, Winnipeg Free Press
- Stephane Leroux, RDS host
- Peter Loubardias, Shaw WHL play-by-play commentator
- Blair Mackasey, Minnesota Wild scout
- Pierre McGuire, NBC analyst
- Bob McKenzie, TSN Insider
- Gord Miller, TSN play-by-play commentator
- Willy Palov, Halifax Chronicle-Herald
- Brad Pascall, Hockey Canada vice-president
- Andrew Podnieks, IIHF writer
- Donna Spencer, Canadian Press
- Ed Willes, Vancouver Province