ASHBURN, Va. -- Donte Stallworth was cut Monday by the Washington Redskins, thwarting the veteran receiver's comeback.
Stallworth was hindered through most of training camp by a hamstring injury. He caught two passes for 33 yards in preseason games.
"You could see with the setback with his hamstring, he just wasn't ready," coach Mike Shanahan said.
The 32-year-old player signed with the Redskins in June, three months after he was seriously burned in a hot air balloon accident in Florida. He faced a tough challenge making a roster that already includes Pierre Garcon, Joshua Morgan, Santana Moss and Leonard Hankerson.
Stallworth has played for six teams over 10 NFL seasons. He missed the 2009 season when he was suspended by the NFL after pleading guilty to killing a pedestrian while driving drunk. He appeared in only one game last year with the New England Patriots before an ankle injury ended his season.
"I thought in his best interest, since I knew he wasn't going to be on the football team, was to tell him early," Shanahan said. "Give him a chance, possibly, to get with another football team."
The Redskins also waived linebacker Ricky Elmore, fullback Eric Kettani, kicker John Potter, receiver Chip Reeves and linebacker Quan Sturdivant.
Cornerback and punt returner Richard Crawford, who damaged three ligaments in his left knee in Saturday's preseason game, and linebacker Jeremy Kimbrough (right shoulder) were waived with injury designations. Shanahan said Monday that Crawford will require nine months of recovery.
Rookie safety Phillip Thomas (left foot) and linebacker Keenan Robinson (left shoulder) were placed on injured reserve.
The Redskins have three more cuts to announce before Tuesday's deadline to reduce the roster to 75. They are expected to be tackle Jeremy Trueblood, linebacker Roddrick Muckelroy and offensive lineman Jacolby Ashworth. None was at Monday's practice.