Mixed Martial Arts

Mousasi outclasses Latifi at UFC in Sweden

The Canadian Press
4/6/2013 5:56:08 PM
Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

STOCKHOLM, Sweden -- Gegard Mousasi won a unanimous decision over Ilir Latifi in the headline bout Saturday at the UFC on FUEL TV 9 in Sweden.

Latifi (7-3), who stepped in for injured training partner Alexander Gustafsson on just four-days notice, was outclassed by the favoured Mousasi (34-3-2) for the entire 15-minute affair at Ericsson Globe Arena.

In the end, all three judges had the fight scored 30-27 in Mousasi's favour.

Latifi, a Swedish native, enjoyed the full support of his countrymen during the fight, as the crowd cheered him on to pull off the upset. Unfortunately, Mousasi's takedown defence remained strong throughout the fight, and a pinpoint jab busted up Latifi's face.

Latifi was dominated from start to finish, but did score a late third-round takedown that brought the crowd to life. However, he was unable to capitalize on the position before the bell sounded to end the fight.

If there was criticism of Mousasi's performance, it was that he was perhaps too patient, but he explained the strategy was a necessary one.

"Coming into this fight, I was injured and last week I got a cold," Mousasi said. "I didn't go berserk. I thought I had it striking-wise, and I took advantage of that.

"I know he's a wrestler, so I didn't want him to close the distance. I fought smart. Some people lay and pray -- so maybe I did a little of that with the standup."

UFC history was made in the evening's co-main event, as Ryan Couture (6-2) -- the son of UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture -- became the promotion's first second-generation fighter.

Unfortunately for him, the experience wasn't all that pleasant.

After a rather uneventful first round in which he controlled opponent Ross Pearson in multiple clinches against the cage, the British striker came alive in the second round and begin to outstrike Couture on the feet. Couture tried desperately to slow things down, but Pearson shucked off his takedown attempts and begin to rifle off punches.

Caught flush on the chin, Couture crumpled to the floor, where additional punches sealed the result for Pearson at the 3:45 mark of the second frame.

Pearson revealed after the bout that he likely broke his foot in the evening's pre-fight warmup.

Also Saturday, heavyweight Matt Mitrione (6-2) scored a 19-second knockout of Phil De Fries (9-3) when the British grappler was caught with a short right hand during a takedown attempt. Mitrione immediately pounced on his stunned opponent, and series of quick punches earned the quick stoppage.

Mousasi and Latifi (Photo: Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)


(Photo: Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Share This

Share This

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to FarkAdd to TwitterAdd to Stumble UponAdd to Reddit
Print this Story

Have Your Say


A week before his light heavyweight title defence at UFC 172, Jon Jones told TSN.ca that one of the most exciting parts of his career is "just breaking records, you know?" After retaining his title for a record seventh time, it's time to take a look at what the Rochester native has accomplished and ask, is he the best ever? More...

© 2017
All rights reserved.
Bell Media Television