TSN TV Schedule TSN2 TV Schedule
Mixed Martial Arts

UFC grants MacDonald his wish, a rematch with Condit

{eot}
The Canadian Press
12/12/2012 8:12:24 PM
Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

TORONTO -- Canadian welterweight Rory (Ares) MacDonald is getting another shot at Carlos (Natural Born Killer) Condit.

UFC president Dana White confirmed by text to The Canadian Press on Wednesday that the rematch is slated for Montreal in March. The Bell Centre card is expected to be UFC 158.

But a main event between welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz is "not done yet," said White.

The UFC boss revealed last Thursday in Seattle that the Montreal-based champ has asked to meet Diaz, calling it unfinished business. The two were slated to meet in October 2011 but the UFC pulled Diaz after he failed to attend news conferences in Toronto and Las Vegas.

Diaz was replaced by Condit but St-Pierre injured his knee. Condit then beat Diaz in February for the interim title.

A healthy GSP won a five-round decision over the 28-year-old Condit at UFC 154 last month in Montreal.

MacDonald (14-1) asked for the Condit rematch last Saturday in the cage after defeating former lightweight and welterweight champion B.J. (The Prodigy) Penn at a televised card in Seattle.

Condit manager Malki Kawa tweeted that the Albuquerque-based fighter "accepted 30 sec after he was called out" by MacDonald.

Condit (28-6) handed MacDonald his only loss when he stopped the young Canadian with seven seconds remaining in their UFC 115 bout at Vancouver's GM Place in June 2010.

At the post-fight news conference in Seattle, the 23-year-old MacDonald said he was humiliated by the loss to Condit.

"Because I was just laying there getting beaten on," he told reporters. "My face looked like I was a guy from 'The Goonies' after. I was embarrassed, I was embarrassed about my performance and how I held myself. It did a lot of damage and I don't think I've been the same person since. So I want to get that back."

The loss changed MacDonald, who has won four fights in a row since.

He moved from Kelowna, B.C., to Montreal in the aftermath to train with coach Firas Zahabi, St-Pierre and other elite fighters at the Tristar Gym.

He also focused on fighting without emotion, reasoning that it contributed to the loss in Vancouver.

MacDonald became the UFC's youngest fighter when he signed on at 20 in the fall of 2009.

His first fight was a small televised event in January 2010 in Fairfax, Va., where Macdonald submitted Mike Guymon in four minutes 27 seconds.

Then he was hurled into the maelstrom in his home province at UFC 115 against Condit, the former WEC champion.

"People were going insane," MacDonald recalled in a recent interview. "I never heard that level of noise in a building ... I was super-shocked and it just got me fired up to a point where it was, like, bad. If you watch that fight you could see the intensity that I was bringing and I don't think that was my style. And I paid for it."

MacDonald started strong but faded. And Condit took advantage.

Carlos Condit and Rory MacDonald (Photo: The Canadian Press)

zoom

(Photo: The Canadian Press)
Share This

Share This

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to FarkAdd to TwitterAdd to Stumble UponAdd to Reddit
Print this Story


Have Your Say

Weigh-In

A week before his light heavyweight title defence at UFC 172, Jon Jones told TSN.ca that one of the most exciting parts of his career is "just breaking records, you know?" After retaining his title for a record seventh time, it's time to take a look at what the Rochester native has accomplished and ask, is he the best ever? More...

© 2014
All rights reserved.
Bell Media Television