McGill beats Western for men's field lacrosse title

The Canadian Press
11/4/2012 10:16:19 PM
Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

PETERBOROUGH, Ont. -- Jishan Sharples scored in double overtime as the McGill Redmen edged the Western Mustangs 7-6 on Sunday to win the Baggataway Cup.

It is the first time McGill has won the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association's title. Six different schools have won the championship in as many years.

"It's really difficult to put what this means into words," said tournament MVP Brandon McLean, from Victoria, who put McGill in the final after scoring the winner in Saturday's 9-8 semifinal victory over the Guelph Gryphons. "It was really a team effort. We worked so hard to get here and it's paid off.

"I think it will take a while to sink in what we accomplished."

Sharples also scored in regulation for the Redmen, while Tayler Sipperly had two goals as well. Ryan Besse, Leland de Langley and Connor Goodwin rounded out McGill's offence.

Scott Watson and Ryan McCrory both had a pair of goals for Western, while Kyle Childerhose and Sam Neeb also scored.

Riley McGillis made 20 saves in net for the win, while Zach Grace stopped 12 shots for the Mustangs.

Sharples, a graduating senior from Vancouver, scored a wrap-a-round goal with 12 seconds remaining in double overtime.

Sipperly, from Charlotte, N.C., opened the scoring before the game was a minute old but Western stormed back to lead 2-1 on a pair of goals by McRory, from Clarington, Ont.

Watson, from London, Ont., added to the Mustangs' lead but the Redmen rallied to tie the score at 3-3 in the third on goals by Besse, from Aurora, Ont., and De Langley of Orangeville, Ont.

Childerhose, from Ingersoll, Ont., countered for Western with a power-play goal to give the Mustangs a 4-3 lead headed into the fourth quarter.

McGill rallied again, scoring three consecutive goals to take what appeared to be a comfortable 6-4 lead with seven minutes left in regulation time.

The tug-of-war continued with Western fighting back once more. Watson scored with 30 seconds remaining and then Neeb, from Oakville, Ont., scored the equalizer with only 10 seconds left in regulation time.

Lacrosse (Photo: Jim Rogash/Getty Images)


(Photo: Jim Rogash/Getty Images)
Share This

Share This

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to FarkAdd to TwitterAdd to Stumble UponAdd to Reddit
Print this Story

© 2017
All rights reserved.
Bell Media Television