FIVE QUICK NBA HOOPS THOUGHTS
Happy Holidays to all. May each of you have a wonderful Holiday Season. Let's chat some hoops.
1. JOSE CALDERON (Mavericks): Loved what I saw from him last Friday night in Dallas. Tremendous confidence right now in his shooting which sets the table for his screen and roll game. Playing in the back court with Monta Ellis has opened up his game and having a future Hall of Famer in Dirk Nowitzki to attract double teams is ideal for him. Good landing spot for him.
2. MARCO BELINELLI (Spurs): Another former Raptor. Boy, the Bulls could sure use him now with their offensive woes. Terrific pickup for his new team. He's got three-point shooting ability and nifty creativity off the bounce. Good competitor that fits the best 'System' team in the league. Isn't it amazing? The Spurs always find a way to add a guy who makes sense for their team. They know what they're doing.
3. JOHN SALMONS (Raptors): It's funny how guys grow on you when you see them at work each day. I have a better appreciation of his game up close. Always respected his scoring punch yet never appreciated how smart a player he is. He is a sound defender and can create scoring chances for teammates. Heady and capable player.
4. ARRON AFFLALO (Magic): His name gets tossed around in trade talks yet he produces. A steady combo guard who has good versatility in his game. Like him. Energetic guy who can put pressure on defences. If you're looking to add a third guard on a very good team he's an ideal guy to target.
5. JEREMY LAMB (Thunder): Scott Brooks now has more firepower off his bench with Reggie Jackson and this guy. Shooting right around 40 per cent from three-point range and is getting more confident in playing in the lane with physical contact. Uses screens well and moves without the ball with a purpose. Big part of the James Harden trade for GM Sam Presti. He's slowing his game down, reading situations better and becoming more efficient. He's going to be an important piece to their success as this season progresses.