Monarchs take down IceCaps in shootout

The Canadian Press
3/1/2013 9:24:23 PM
Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- The St. John's IceCaps scored first, but dropped the ball late in the game.

Andy Andreoff's second goal with 43 seconds left in regulation forced overtime and the Manchester Monarchs downed the IceCaps 5-4 on Friday on goals from Jordan Weal and Colton Yellow Horn.

"I'm disappointed that we let the lead slip away," said IceCaps head coach Keith McCambridge. "Whenever you're not having success, obviously you're gripping a little bit tighter to try to hold onto that lead, to try to get those two points that you desperately want to get in the standings."

Brandon Kozun and Tyler Toffoli also scored for Manchester (25-24-6) in regulation time.

Eric O'Dell had a pair of goals and two assists for St. John's (23-30-4), while Kael Mouillierat had a goal and two assists. Patrice Cormier also scored and chipped in with an assist.

Martin Jones made 33 saves for the win, while Eddie Pasquale stopped 22 shots for the IceCaps.

O'Dell set up Cormier's power-play goal at 16:26 to put St. John's ahead 1-0 in the first.

O'Dell is tied for the team lead in points with 32, while Mouillierat is third with 28 points. The line alternates between power forwards Carl Klingerg and Cormier depending on the situation, and has been one of the IceCaps' most consistent.

"Every game we are just telling each other to work hard, that's all we can do," said O'Dell. "We've been creating chances, getting the puck deep and just putting the puck on net."

St. John's was 3 for 6 on the power play and Manchester was 2 for 5.

"I thought offensively we've been good," said McCambridge. "On that road trip we averaged nearly three goals a game, our goal production tonight was really strong also. I like the fact that we're putting pucks in the back of the net."

The IceCaps got out to a quick start in the second period when O'Dell scored just 12 seconds in.

Manchester replied almost immediately when they scored at 1:36 when Kozun put home a one-timer through traffic to bring the Monarchs within one.

St. John's regained their two-goal cushion on O'Dell's second goal of the night at 3:34 of the second.

Linden Vey set up Toffoli for a breakaway goal at 13:17 in the third.

The IceCaps re-established their two-goal lead at 14:21 on a goal by Mouillierat.

Andreoff scored goals at 16:15 and 19:17 in the third to tie the game.

Manchester Monarchs (Photo: TSN)


(Photo: TSN)
Share This

Share This

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to FarkAdd to TwitterAdd to Stumble UponAdd to Reddit
Print this Story

© 2017
All rights reserved.
Bell Media Television